After the success of the vegetable salad with chickpeas and thyme, I decided to dive into another culinary adventure, this time using zucchini as my main ingredient. Even though it turned out a bit more caloric than I intended, the taste was definitely worth it.
Here’s what you’ll need for about two adult portions:
- 1 large zucchini or 2 smaller ones
- 1 cup of chickpeas (boiled or canned and peeled)
- 9 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp savory
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Thyme to taste
- Chop the chickpeas in a food processor until it has reached a fine crumbly consistency. Add 3 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp garlic powder and 1 tsp savory and mix them together until all the ingredients blend together. Form the mixture into small balls, roll them into bread-crumbs and put them aside.
- Peel the zucchini and cut them into strips. Preheat another 3 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and toss the zucchini in the pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and thyme to taste. Sautée for a few minutes, stirring from time to time until they soften. After that remove the zucchini from the pan with a slotted spoon and put them on a plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and fry the chickpea balls. When they’re ready, carefully remove them from the pan since they’re very fragile and soft. Serve them on top of the zucchini or however you prefer.
This meal is perfectly accompanied by rusks, so I decided to add them as a decoration together with some freshly boiled (or canned) chickpeas.
If you have any zucchini left, you can use them to prepare a simple green salad with sautéed zucchini. It looks great (making it a perfect solution for guests) and requires zero time once the zucchini are cooked 😉
Have fun and let me know how this recipe turned out for you 🙂